I should wrap up what I’ve achieved with THE YAWN project before I make more progress on it, now that we are done with our ICM class. I say before I make more progress on it, because I definitely want to keep working on the project until the program is in nearly excellent condition, even if it’s not written in Processing. Our ICM research assistant Jeremy likes my project and says he’ll be happy to help me should I choose to work on it more next semester and that’s encouraging me!
I showed the final version of the project during our last class. I didn’t have much time to introduce and talk about my project in detail though. It’s mostly my fault, one because I was a little nervous, two because I didn’t take the initiative to take my time in presenting my project. I wish I had more time and/or I were more organized with the time I had.
So, the final version of my program can:
1. Show a prerecorded yawn video in loop in a separate processing sketch.
2. Detect a yawn. (not so accurately though)
3. When it detects a yawn, starts recording.
4. Records for 8 seconds and saves it as a new movie.
5. The movies are saved in the data folder of the first processing sketch playing videos in loop.
6. The viewer needs to wear a ridiculous apparatus made of white board to clear out the background images.
After I presented my project in class, I saw some problems that I wanted to fix right away. Why didn’t I think of using background removal?! Why wasn’t I able to incorporate face detection to the code, even though I had tried it? Why was it so hard to pull out random videos that were added to the first processing sketch’s data folder?
Immediately, I tried the background removal code that Shiffman has on his Learning Processing book, but it wasn’t as accurate and it didn’t look clean. Maybe there are more complex codes out there that deal with background removal? I have to research more.
Then I searched a whole lot of forums on how to play QuickTime videos at a random from the data folder. To my surprise, I found out that Processing’s video library isn’t at all that great at dealing with playing and recording videos! Many contributors say that the memory gets used up very fast and I also experienced the same problem. Maybe there are better tools for THE YAWN project and I should look into them as well.
This was by far my favorite project of my first semester at ITP and I learned so much during the process. I hope I’ll get to make a much better version of it next semester and be able to share it with more people and collect lots of more yawns! Before I go, here is a video of Michelle yawning during my final presentation.
THE YAWN: Michelle yawning from Asli Sevinc on Vimeo.